Rapids 2019 Season CommUNITY Recap
Watertown, NY - Being involved in the north country community is a year-round priority for the Watertown Rapids, from the front office to every single player and coach on the team. With only having players in town for the summer, the Rapids’ community efforts are raised, not only in Watertown, but across the north country.
When the team arrives in late May, it’s stressed to them right away the importance of getting out in the community. The majority of players on the team come to Watertown for the first time, but become active members of the north country community. This past season and pre-season, the Rapids participated in events in Watertown, Chaumont, Sackets Harbor, Carthage, Adams, Fort Drum, Alexandria Bay, and Theresa.
Rapids General Manager Brandon Noble, who is a member of the Watertown Sunrise Rotary Club and the Greater Watertown North Country Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors says these appearances are a great learning experience for the players. “These young men are new to the area, so it’s a good way for them to learn about the area and interact with community members. It’s also important for them because many of them are expected to do similar activities at their colleges and for players who make it to the professional level, community involvement is something every team takes a lot of pride in.”
Naturally, baseball camps around the area are a highlight of the summer. Rapids players and coaches attended camps in Chaumont, Carthage, Adams, and at Jefferson Community College. The Rapids are also sponsors of a team in the Watertown American Little League. A few Rapids players even participated in an old-time game of baseball in Sackets Harbor as a part of the Can-Am Festival.
“It’s a lot of fun seeing our players interact with the local youth and a variety of community members” Noble added. “With such a short window of time and the intense game schedule, it’s nice to see our team involved in such a wide variety of ways.”
In addition to community appearances, the Rapids are very active in donating to local causes and events with game tickets and other items. If you have an event that you would like a Rapids member at or a donation request, please email us at email@example.com. A full list of community events the Rapids attended this spring and summer is below.
- Fort Drum Civilian of the Quarter Luncheon (April)
- Downtown Watertown Cleanup Day (May)
- Watertown American Little League Opening Day (May)
- Carthage Little League Opening Day (May)
- Watertown Armed Forces Day Parade (May)
- Salvation Army meal serving (June)
- Sackets Harbor O’Glory Day (June)
- Ohio Elementary School Career Day (June)
- Starbuck Elementary School Field Day (June)
- Watertown Farm & Craft Market (June)
- Thousand Islands Winery Event (June)
- Watertown Memory Cafe (June)
- DPAO Team Visit & Dinner (July)
- Samaritan Medical Center Coaches Table (July)
- Carthage Baseball Camp (July)
- Chaumont Baseball Camp (July)
- Adams Baseball Camp (July)
- Sackets Harbor Old-Time Baseball Game (July)
- Sackets Harbor Can-Am Festival Parade (July)
- Twisted Ice Cream Serving (July)
- JCC Baseball Camp (July)
The Watertown Rapids are actively searching for host families for the summer of 2020. If you would like more information on being a host family and the benefits of hosting a Rapids player, please reach out to Brandon at firstname.lastname@example.org